What is 401(k) Cashout Leakage?
- Cashing Out: The Systemic Impact of Withdrawing Savings Before Retirement (Savings Preservation Working Group, 2019)
- EBRI Issue Brief #489 (Employee Benefit Research Institute, 2018)
- What do workers do with their retirement savings after they leave their employers? (Alight Solutions, 2019)
- How America Saves (Vanguard, 2021 – directly links to section on plan distributions)
- Eliminating Friction & Leakage in America’s Defined Contribution System (Boston Research Technologies, 2013)
- Actionable Insights for Your Mobile Workforce (Boston Research Technologies, 2015)
- Estimating Leakage from Retirement Savings Accounts (JCX-20-21) (Joint Committee on Taxation, 2021)
- How Employees Handle Their Retirement Savings During Work Transitions (Pew Charitable Trusts, 2021)
- The $10,000 Hurdle (Northern Trust, 2016)
- Plan leakage: A study on the psychology behind leakage of retirement plan assets (DCIIA, 2016)
- Defaulting In and Cashing Out? The Impact of Retirement Plan Design on the Savings Accumulation of Separating Employees (RAND Corporation, 2015)
- Why 401(k) Cashout Leakage is a Crisis
- 401(k) Cashout Confusion: Who’s Doing It and Why?
- How Big is the 401(k) Cashout Leakage Problem (Really)?
- 3 Promising Policies to Reduce Cashout Leakage
- How to Prevent Retirement Plan Leakage
- The institutionalization of portability is key to reducing cash-out leakage
- A Mistake with Lingering Regret: Cashing Out Your 401(k)
- 401(k) Retirement Savings: More ‘Gone’ Than ‘Forgotten’
- 401(k) Truth Bomb: Missing Participants are Bad, 401(k) Cashouts are Worse
RCH Services that Curb Cashout Leakage:
- RCH Managed Portability
- Assisted Roll-In (for active participants)
- Assisted Roll-Out (for terminated participants, all balances)
- RCH Automatic Rollover, featuring RCH Auto Portability
To learn more about all of RCH’s portability and participant search services, call (866) 827-9608, email sales@RCH1.com, or visit our RCH Portability Services page.